Wednesday 9 April 2014

What makes you buy a book?

It could be a respected clipping on the cover.


It could be another author's blurb on the cover.


It could be twitter.
It could be the author.
It could be the cover picture.
The collected works of A J Fikry - Gabrielle Zevin http://www.hive.co.uk/book/the-collected-works-of-a-j-fikry/18118844/
For me:
The respected review is not likely to work. Especially if it's Booker.
The author's name may well work but clearly not on a debut.
The alternative author blurb is either
A. Taken with a pinch of salt if I like the author or
B. stops me buying a book if it's an author I don't like.
Either way I'm under the impression it's a paid for opinion. Let me know if I'm wrong.
The cover picture may work but some books simply have the wrong cover on. IMHO.
Twitter usually works. If enough bloggers love it and tweet about it. Even the pr people on twitter may work.
Unless it's self published.
More recently there have been gimmicks included in books. I'm a sucker for these. So "S" nearly got me with it's PR and games but the content didn't appeal.
The 15 lives of Harry August has a gimmick. Postcards. And, yes, it got me. The book is good as well though:)
What works for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment