Tuesday 11 June 2013

Selected at six - Joan Goldman

The wonders of ebay meant that a book I'd been looking for for years eventually surfaced at a bargain price. And when it arrived it had bonus stamps from Birmingham Reference Library - 'Discarded'
Serendipity indeed.
This is an autobiographical account of a teacher of 'backward' children in the 60's.
It's of particular interest to me as my mother was one of these teachers and many of my half term holidays were spent in 'the hut' where she taught.
Similarly in this school the remaining space was handed over for the children least likely to succeed. The only instruction from the headteacher 'I want them reading by the end of the year'
How this is achieved and the stories along the way make interesting reading of a 'discarded' book.
Shortly to be passed to a group of 6 such teachers who will love it.
Think 'Call the midwife' for education

Publisher - Hodder & Stoughton

No comments:

Post a Comment